On deployment of a new plugin, often there is a request to process the existing records. If the plugin is triggered by a field update, you can use the ‘Bulk Data Updater’ tool as shown below to run this plugin on-demand
- In XRM Toolbox, search for Bulk Data Updater and select the tool by Jonas Rapp, Innofactor AP. If you do not have XRM Toolbox, you can download it from here.
2. If the app prompts you to connect to an organization, click Yes.
3. If you have the connection set up, select the connection and click OK. If you do not have a connection set up, click New Connection.
4. If you would like to process all records in an existing view, select ‘Open View‘ and click ‘Get Records‘. You can also use custom Fetch XML query to get the desired records.
Note: The field acting as the trigger for the plugin must be in the view as a column or in the Fetch as an attribute.
5. For this example, let’s assume we want to run this plugin for all accounts in the Customer view and that the plugin is triggered on update on the ‘name’ field. In the ‘Select View’ dialog box, we will select the entity – in this case ‘account’.
6. In the View drop down, select the view you would like to use. For our example, I selected the Customer view.
- The ‘Open View’ option will also display the personal views of the user specified in the XRM Toolbox connection.
7. This will display the query that will be used to retrieve the records to be processed. Click OK.
8. Next, in the ‘Attribute‘ dropdown, select the field triggering the plugin.
9. This last step is why this tool is so amazing – in the ‘Choose Update Method’ area, the tool allows us to Touch an attribute. This causes the system to think that the field was updated without a change in the value.
10. That’s it! Click ‘Update Records‘ and your data will start getting processed!
If you have any questions or if this article needs corrections, please leave a comment below. Thanks for stopping by!